TCCC Becomes Climate Positive
May 20th 2022
TCCC Goes Beyond Carbon Neutral to Become Climate Positive
To protect our shared planet and advance environmental and social justice, everyone must do their part—from households and communities to elected officials and institutions to charitable organisations and businesses. At TCCC, we’re doing our part to minimise our impact on the plant, while continuing to provide charities, running clubs, and cycling communities with fantastic and earth-friendly branded fitness gear.
Which is why we’re delighted and honoured to announce our recent Climate Positive accreditation from Earthly, a global movement led by experts and businesses, in partnership with nature. To achieve this meaningful certification as a true climate leader, a business must calculate its current carbon impact, identify solutions to reduce these emissions, and, ultimately, remove at least more than 10% of this footprint (110% in total). As Earthly puts it, being carbon neutral is no longer enough. In fact, the United Nations just warned that it’s “now or never” to limit our global warming and avert further disaster.
Achieving the Climate Positive accreditation is not an easy nor overnight feat, but it’s one positive step a business can take to start to do their part. In that spirit, we’d like to share a little more about our Climate Positive journey, so that other forward-thinking businesses may join us in this movement.
Why We’re Taking the Steps to Reduce our Business Footprint
At TCCC, we continually strive to make a positive impact on the planet, from offering eco-friendly alternatives for our most popular products to reducing waste within our own offices. Protecting our planet is also important for the charities and communities that we support and partner with. That’s why we wanted to go above and beyond and not only reduce our carbon footprint, but strive to become a climate positive company.
We know the Climate Positive accreditation is just a first step - we need to continue to make a better mark on our world. Becoming a true climate leader in business requires continual effort and evolution. However, we’re proud to take this initial, action-oriented step to reduce our own carbon footprint on the planet by becoming an Earthly Climate Positive business. By offsetting TCCC’s carbon footprint by 110%, we’ll release fewer carbon emissions into the atmosphere. This means we’ll help, at the least, to slow down climate change by preserving our environment and making better use of the earth’s limited and precious resources.
How We’re Becoming a Climate Positive Business
To receive the Climate Positive certification, we first had to calculate our current carbon footprint across three core areas:
- Direct emissions from sources that are owned or controlled by our company (e.g., workspace emissions, heating)
- Indirect emissions from purchased sources of energy that our company does not control (e.g., electricity)
- All other indirect emissions (e.g., procurement or freight)
We found that our total (t) CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent, or the universal unit of measurement to indicate the global warming potential of Greenhouse Gases) to be: 63.33 t CO2e. This breaks down to 2.26 t CO2e per employee or 0.05 t CO2e per square metre in our building.
But that’s just numbers and calculations. We also worked with Earthly to identify several reduction initiatives that we can take to further reduce this impact, across the three core areas. Not only are we taking steps to reduce our current footprint, we’re also offsetting 110% of our emissions by investing in nature-based projects. These projects are focused on removing carbon, restoring nature, and reversing climate change. Here's more about the projects we’re excited to support:
- Brazil Nut Concessions in Madre de Dios: This project focuses on rainforest conservation in Peru to reduce deforestation in over 300,000 hectares of the Peruvian Amazon through a sustainable market for forest Brazil nuts. The goal is to stop deforestation and support the livelihood of 400 families.
- Mangrove Planting in Madagascar: This project run by Eden Reforestation Projects focuses on reforestation and poverty in the mangroves, which aid tremendously in carbon sequestration; mangroves also provide critical storm surge protection and vital habitats for many species. To date, the Madagascar project has planted over 300 million trees and created over 3 million workdays.
- Kasigau Dryland Protection: The Kasigau Corridor project protects an expanse of over 200,000 hectares of dryland Acacia-Commiphora forest home to over 2,000 elephants. The project has led to 13,936,339 t CO2e avoided to date and has created a market-driven solution to wildlife conservation through a community-led, community-based, sustainable model.
Taking Action to Protect the Planet
At TCCC, we’re fortunate to partner with amazing charities and clubs who go above and beyond to help transform society through fitness and fundraising activities. Our team at TCCC feels strongly that we also need to go above and beyond to tackle a serious issue that affects us all - climate change.
We recognise that the Climate Positive certification is only a first step to help transform our impact on the world. The effort will take continual evolution and we are up to the challenge. From our people to our products, we will strive to have a minimal impact on our planet in all that we do, because nothing matters more than restoring Earth. And together, we can make a difference. Are you up the challenge?
We’d love to share even more. Please reach out any time to learn more about our Climate Positive journey or to share your own efforts to keep Earth inhabitable. We’re all on this planet and in this together.